Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Star Wars - the final episode?

My wife and I finally got a chance to see "Episode III-Revenge of the Sith" and my feelings about it are a bit mixed. Overall, it was a great movie. I feel somewhat disappointed; "oh, no more Star Wars movies!" but simultaneously relieved that the 'waiting' is over for the next one. The truth is, most of my feelings (the mixed ones) are of this nature...a good thing and not-good thing.

Rather than produce a sterile dissertation on the cinematic inequities and personal errata involved, I'll just bulletize the "not-good" and "good" by topic, as it comes to me...

Hayden Christensen
Did considerably more 'brooding' than acting.
'Brooding' is kool!

Natalie Portman
What happened to the kool white-tight suit she wore in the last movie?
That's OK...she was pregnant for most of this one, and the suit would have looked a little different.

Palpatine/Lord Sidious
All the 'surprise' was lost in Episode One, when I remember that the emperor in ROTJ was identified by his name (Palpatine) on the Star Wars cards that came out.
His 'transformation scene' was kreepy.

What's in a name/bloodline?
My willing suspension of disbelief was difficult to maintain as the surviving Jedi formulated a plan to 'hide and seperate' the Skywalker Twins, for two reasons: (1) they should have changed Luke's last name to 'Johnson' or something, you'd think the Empire could have found a pup named Skywalker pretty damn easy in less than 18 years, (2) they shouldn't have called Leia a 'princess' for the same reason, which I'm sure that I do not know.
In support of the original series storyline, it couldn't have been done any other way!

Darth Vader suit

I was hoping that the 'origin' of the Darth Vader suit would show us a 'year one' version of the famous mask & cowl; I scoffed a bit at the original suit (in ROTS) being the same exact model found in the first Star Wars movie (ANH)...you'd think that improvements and modifications would have been made in the course of 18 years where the first time we see DV in ANH, he is the 'latest and greatest version'.
Darth Vader is KOOL.

The Jedi
What a bunch of sissies! And who put a guy like Mace Windu in charge, thinking he and 4-5 others could take on a Sith Lord just like that?
The slaughter of the Jedi (executive order 66!) was beyond kool, a great part in the movie.

Let's go to the DARK SIDE...
I was expecting Anakin's journey to the Dark Side to be one driven by power, primarily, not driven by a contrived dream of Padme's death.
Once he went, he went FULL BORE and that was breathtaking to watch!

Now, I've got nothing to wait for except for the next X-Men movie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home