Friday, August 05, 2005

weekly tunes review #1

on Fridays, I will attempt to compile a list with personal reflections on what I've been listening to for the week...since "Music is the best" (per Frank Zappa) such nonsense is important to me...

IGGY POP - "SOLDIER" (1980)
Growing up, I had copped an attitude about any Iggy Pop that wasn't Stooges or didn't have an Asheton, Williamson, or Bowie involved (even some of the material with the latter bothered me, a little)...in July of 1987, Jeff Wilson said to me (as he did many times) while I was record-hunting at Mother Murphy's, "dude, you've gotta buy this record" so I did and wore it out in less than a week...I haven't listened to this album in YEARS!! I still get the goosebumps when I hear "I'm a Conservative"..."Hello my friends! Is everybody happy?"
mp3.com album info and review

YOUJEEN - "The Doll" (2001) and "BEWITCH" (2002)
Never heard this before, gave it a chance...great J-Rock with female vocals, she's kind of a cross between Alanis Morrissette (sp) and Ringo Shiina...pretty kool and catchy stuff, at least this week...
YesAsia Youjeen info

SEX MACHINEGUNS - "Aijin 28" single (2005)
New single by the second best Japanese metal outfit (ONMYOZA being the best, by far)...very kool stuff, as always, but I miss the outrageousness of the 'old' SMG (w/Noisy, Sussy, etc.).
CD Japan Aijin 28 info

G.I.S.M. - "Performance of War" (1998)
One of my favorite Jap HC bands from the 80's, Mark bought this years ago and taped it for me...happily, I've got a digital copy now...classic, bizarre HC/Metal thrash...
Info on CD and details from GlobalDarkness

TWISTED SISTER - "Under the Blade" (1992)
Classic first TS LP...nothing else to say about it!!
Review from KickedInTheFace
TS website

BOSTON - 1st 2 albums
I got these partly to burn some tracks for my wife, but also because I had to have them! Early BOSTON does rule, you know...

TURBONEGRO - "Apocalypse Dudes" (1999)
I remember these guys from the early 90s and didn't think much of it...at all. Now, I've rediscovered their newer material, and if I had ten thumbs, they'd all be up!! This album has run on my CD player in the car no less than 3 times this week (a rarity, especially when you consider that I did 2 Pimsleur Japanese lessons in the car this week as well); its more-than-obvious nod to Iggy/Stooges era and MC5 (even a smack or two of old MISFITS, a-la sing-along stuff) is very refreshing; they way they revisit the genre(s) and the craziness of their lyrics reminds me very much of the same approach taken by THE DARKNESS...TURBONEGRO must be destroyed!!!
Turbojugend USA fansite

ENKA BLOCK
As a rule, and to retain my sanity, I listen to regular doses of enka on a regular basis...this week, lots of Sachiko Kobayashi and Itsuki Hiroshi!!
Barbara's Enka Home Page

NOTABLE QUOTE:
"Each day, you wake up and get out of bed knowing that there is sh%t waiting for you. Each day is a struggle, a battle and you must prepare for these battles, these wars. You have to be prepared...you either fight to win or you throw up your hands and admit that you are f#cked."
---Joey deMaio, MANOWAR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home